High Park Fire

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Carp Fly Fishing

Hit up a local pond for so autumn carp fly fishing.  This is my first fall specifically targeting carp on the fly.  There was more water in the pond since I fished two months ago with my mother-in-law.   I was surprised with how many tailing carp where just a few feet from the bank.  For some reason I had it in my head that the carp would be staging off shore and not interested in feeding, glad I was wrong.
Overall I hooked up with 4 medium size grass carp and landed 3 of them.






 
This guy was the best take of the entire day.  I cast past him and stripped my orange and black Zimmermans Backstabber slowly toward his head.  I witnessed the carp stop, turn on his side and bury his head into the silt as he inhaled the fly!  A gentile tug on my Sage TCX and zing! went my reel.  Oh how I love that sound.



 A huge frog sitting on the bank.
The smallest carp of the day.  Still a great fight though.
Get out there now! Fall Carp fly fishing is on fire.

Lonny

6 comments:

  1. Lonny - Nice day! You gotta love a take like that where they just grub on it. Them there are commons by the way. Not that it matters, awesome catches either way! Seems like you guys in northern CO get a little longer season on ponds than I get in Lakewood. My local ponds were dead by the end of September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I didnt realize you were going to have so much fun carp content when I last visited your blog. I am going to add you to my carproll over at Fly-Carpin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McTage, thanks for the education on the carp species. I am still learning to recognize the difference in them. I know I have landed a mirror carp this past summer. I am so honored your adding me to your carproll, as I visit your site often to get great tips. My buddy and I would like to join you this coming summer in your Carp tourney on the river if that would be cool. Thanks again.
    Lonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been gone for a little so I have to ask how Pixie is doing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustin, thank you for kind thoughts. Pixie has healed up nicely after her summer surgery. I will post a pic here soon. Again, thanks for the thoughts, we appreciate it.

    Lonny

    ReplyDelete