High Park Fire

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Carpin with the Smother-In-Law.

My mother in law(smother in law) and I have been out the past two mornings trying out hands out at Carpin with fly rods.   Yesterday was tough as we only landed one carp but we were able to cast to well over 20 fish.  I still seem to have that 'put the fly right on his head' syndrome, and I spoked more that I should have.





This morning we awoke earlier, 5am, got to the pond around 6 am and started catching carp.  I landed three and Joan caught her first carp but it popped off as we were dragging it into shore.  We kept the three and gave them to a work friend who is from the Ukraine.  Her mom evidently makes a mean Carp stuffing.  Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Nice fish. I have hit my fair share of carp right in the head. I was attempting to fool a big grass carp last night and I plunked a fly right on it's head. Needless to say, no fish. What flies were you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Justin. I tried several colors of the Backstabber that day, and the day before. I really love the rust colored with a brown hackle collar. But on those few days the pure white Backstabber really was the ticket. The white seems to mimic the cottonwood that is floating around all the ponds this time of year. Just love fighting those carp. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete